The focus of this Working Group is on how to reduce our dependence on cheap oil and replace it with other forms of energy. We will play a major role in developing the Worcester Energy Descent Pathway, a timetabled, 20-year plan for weaning Worcester from oil dependence. Our task is two-fold:
- To research and promote ways to reduce the amount of energy we, as a community, use; and
- To research, document and promote projects and schemes for the local generation of energy from renewable sources.
Our specific objectives for the next 1-2 years are:
- Coordinate and collaborate in creating the energy components of the Worcester Energy Descent Pathway;
- Develop and promote projects and activities to encourage people, local businesses, and organisations to reduce their energy use; and
- Begin researching, documenting and promoting renewable energy generating technologies appropriate for local use.
We will also be building a set of on-line resources that we hope will be of use to people who are interested in energy use reduction and generation of renewable energy.
Please get in touch with us if you wish to be involved with this part of the Transition Worcester project. You will be very welcome. Contact the Energy Group if you want to get involved.